Friday, March 31, 2017

The Scriptures are not Fairy Tales

From: Francis Harper
wbfrmsup@iowatelecom.net


The Scriptures are not Fairy Tales


Dear Ones,

The Scriptures are not a compilation of fairy tales. They are a credible, historical account of actual events. As the Apostle Peter wrote, “We have not followed cunningly devised fables” (2 Peter 1:16).
Jesus spoke of Noah who built the Ark that saved himself, his family and the animals from drowning during the world-wide flood. He also referred to Lot, who escaped with divine assistance from the fire and brimstone that destroyed his home and city. If Jesus believed these things, we should also believe them. However, a normal attribute of man is to doubt. We always desire more proof.
The Lord often gives us additional evidences of truth to deliver us from unbelief. Thus it leaves us without excuse. “For God hath revealed unto them [us] the invisible things of him, from the creation of the world, which are clearly seen; things which are not seen being understood by the things that are, through his eternal power and Godhead; so that they [we] are without excuse” (Romans 1:20).
Jeremiah wrote, “. . . and the Gentiles will come unto thee from the ends of the earth and shall say, Surely our fathers have inherited lies, vanity, and things wherein there is no profit. Shall a man make gods unto himself, and they are no gods? Therefore, behold, I will this once cause them to know mine hand and my might; and they shall know that my name is the Lord” (Jeremiah 16:19-21).
I can identify with the words of Alma, which were referring to the sons of Mosiah, “that he [the Lord] had verified his word unto them in every particular” (Alma 14:78). He has similarly blessed me. I am left without excuse. “I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God . . .” (Alma 14:92).
I will be forever grateful for the opportunity in 1991 to travel with the late Ronald Wyatt, Biblical Archeologist. I became an eye-witness of visible evidences of the greatest miracles which have occurred during the history of man; the remains of Noah’s Ark, the ashes of Gomorrah, the site of the Red Sea Crossing, the pyramids of Egypt, Golgotha [Skull Hill], the place of the Lord’s crucifixion and the Garden Tomb—the site of the Resurrection.
In 1992, I was privileged to travel to Meso-America with a tour group, where we witnessed the great pyramids near Mexico City, and other evidences of the great civilizations spoken of in The Book of Mormon.
In 1997 we visited, once again, the Sacred Grove and Hill Cumorah near Palmyra, New York, and the Kirtland Temple near Cleveland.
Words similar to those spoken by Oliver Cowdery seem appropriate: “Where is room for doubt? No where, uncertainty has fled, doubt has sunk, no more to rise, while fiction and deception has fled [hopefully] forever” (Church History,Vol.1, p 38).
I also like the words of Ronald Wyatt, spoken as we viewed the ashen remains of Sodom and/or Gomorrah: “Friends, if we defy [the Lord’s] kind and merciful entreaty [to come unto him] to be forgiven and saved, we shall end up in exactly the same condition as Sodom and Gomorrah; the word of God tells us so, and God says, I am the Lord, I change not. (Malachi 3:6). My covenant will I not break, nor alter the things that have gone out of my lips” (Psalms 89:34).

My love to all,
Francis

No comments:

Post a Comment