Friday, June 30, 2017

I’m fixin’ to Starve to Death - Rest of the Story

From: Francis Harper
wbfrmsup@iowatelecom.net


I’m fixin’ to Starve to Death - Rest of the Story


Dear Ones,
Now “for the rest of the story” [testimony]: It had been nearly three years since I had dreamed of High Priest Norman Gunsolley saying to me, “I stayed with the church, but I’m fixin’ to starve to death.” I felt that I needed to warn him of his spiritual starvation. He and his family had moved to California and I did not have his address or telephone number. I had almost given up on having an opportunity to share with him.
The precise timing of the Lord is beautiful. After lunch on May 24, 1999, I received a call from a customer who needed some agricultural chemicals. He wanted them delivered to his farm on the Missouri River bottom lands near Little Sioux. I also needed to pick up some livestock feed at Ute, Iowa. I would deliver the chemicals and then drive northeastward through the Preparation Canyon State Park, in the Loess Hills, to Ute to pick up the feed.
As I approached Preparation Canyon, I noticed a sign pointing the way to the recently constructed Scenic Overlook. I felt a sudden urge to make an unplanned visit to the site. As I walked toward the overlook I noticed that only one man was there. He was viewing the wide expanse of the fruitful fields of the Missouri bottom lands. Having his back toward me, I could not identify him. My footsteps alerted him, and as he turned to face me I could hardly believe my eyes. It was Norman Gunsolley! There was no doubt; it was a divine appointment.
Norm was with another couple who were waiting for him, so I hastily made an appointment to visit with him the following day. We met at seven o’clock in the morning and visited for two hours. The message was delivered and well received. I left him in the kind and merciful hands of God. He returned to California, and I have not seen or heard from him since.
A person may be suffering spiritual starvation and not be aware of the malady which will have eternal consequences. Physical starvation is more apparent, and has only temporal effects. Loss of appetite for spiritual things is a sure sign of spiritual impoverishment. This condition is afflicting multitudes in our country and around the world today. How can we awaken these people to their precarious condition?
The Christian mission is to invite and entice all people to come to the living waters to restore their famished souls. Sadly, we find, for the majority, the old adage to be true: “You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink. Jesus lamented, “How often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen her brood under her wings, and ye would not!” (Luke 13:35 IV; 13:34 KJV).
The future is grim for those who refuse to partake of the living waters. Isaiah warned those who “refuseth the water of Shiloh [Jesus] that go softly . . . the Lord bringeth upon them the waters of the river . . . reaching even to the neck” (Isaiah 8:6-8). To those “who would not,” Jesus said, “Behold your house is left unto you desolate. And verily I say unto you, ye shall not know me, until ye have received from the hand of the Lord a just recompense for all your sins; until the time come when ye shall say, Blessed is he who cometh in the name of the Lord” (Luke 13:36 IV; 13:35 KJV).
Jesus promised, “Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life” (John 4:16 IV: 4:14 KJV).

I send my love to all,
Francis Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment