Friday, January 19, 2018

Francis Harper Message for 1/19/2018

From: Francis Harper
wbfrmsup@iowatelecom.net


Francis Harper Message for 1/19/2018


Dear Ones,

The word resolute is defined as being firm, determined, steady, bold and faithful. Those who keep their resolutions will be resolute through every weakness and obstacle. Overcoming severe trials requires resoluteness.

Has anyone been more severely tried than Job? After losing his wealth and family, his body was stricken with boils from head to toe! In spite of all this, Job remained faithful. He received no consolation from his wife and friends. He stood alone with God and said, “Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him…” (Job 13:15).

Job’s testimony, born out of adversity, should be engraved upon the fleshly tables of our hearts. His testimony, coupled with our own, will fortify us for the battles ahead of us: “Oh that my words were now written! oh that they were printed in a book! That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock for ever! For I know that my Redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth; And though after my skin worms destroy this body; yet in my flesh shall I see God; Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold…” (Job 19:23-27).

The question is often asked: “Why do bad things happen to good people?” Paul answers this question: “My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him; For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?...Furthermore, we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence; shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness. Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous; nevertheless, afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby. Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees…”(Hebrews 12: 5-12).

One couple who had lost several children prayed, “Lord, if you have more to teach us, keep pouring it [pain and suffering] on!” Several families in our church at Woodbine have suffered tragic losses: one family suffered the loss of their sixteen year old son, their only son, to polio, after only three days of sickness; a sixteen year old daughter died of Spinal Meningitis: a father backed over his two year old son with his tractor; a husband and father of two young sons was electrocuted and lost an arm and a leg; an eighteen year old daughter, of another family, was killed in a traffic accident. The list could go on but in every case just mentioned, the families endured and were even stronger in faith than before.

“But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner’s fire…And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness” (Malachi 3:2-3).



Never Be Discouraged


“Never be discouraged, trust the Father’s word, In the time of trial let His voice be heard; Trusting in His promise, though the waiting long, He will surely bless us; praise Him with a song.” Refrain: “Praise Him, trust the Father’s word, Praise Him, let His voice be heard; Praise Him, though the waiting long, Praise him, praise him with a song.” “Never be discouraged, if along our way disappointments meet us, tempting us to stray; Closely cling to Jesus, ask Him for His grace, In his words of comfort find a resting place.” Refrain:… “Never be discouraged, patiently endure, God doth often test us, trials make us pure; Soon will come the reaping, then with joy we’ll sing, Praise the Lord of harvest, praise the heav’nly King.” Refrain:… (Hymns of the Restoration #287).

Love To All,
Francis Harper

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Resolute


Are we resolute?; firm and determined in keeping our resolutions? Our covenants? Ever faithful? Christians are called to be resolute. “Therefore, my beloved brethren [and sisters too], be ye steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labor is not in vain in the Lord” (1 Corinthians 15:58).

Jesus was resolute. “And it came to pass, when the time was come that he should be received up, he steadfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem” (Luke 9:52). Undoubtedly Jesus recalled these words of Isaiah as he set his face toward Jerusalem: “The Lord God hath appointed mine ears, and I was not rebellious, neither turned away back. I gave my back to the smiters…I hid not my face from shame and spitting, for the Lord God will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded; therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed, and the Lord is near and he justifieth me. Who will contend with me? let us stand together. Who is mine adversary? let him come near me, and I will smite him with the strength of my mouth; for the Lord will help me” (Isaiah 50:5-6).

The behavior of the disciples of Jesus who followed him to Jerusalem and the cross was despicable. Would we have done better? Peter was so sure of himself when he said, “Lord,…I will lay down my life for thy sake” (John 13:37). When Jesus was suffering in Gethsemane, Peter and the others were sleeping. And Jesus said: “Watch and pray that ye enter [yield] not into temptation; the spirit indeed is willing; but the flesh is weak” (Matthew 26:38 IV; 26:41 KJV).

All of us can agree and identify with these words of Jesus. Although we have great aspirations, goals, resolutions and intentions; in the flesh, we are very weak. If we expect to attain Christ-likeness and celestial glory with all the accompanying benefits, we must learn to rely on the Lord to help us. He stands by to help when we pray, Lord help me! Peter cried, “Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him…” (Matthew 14:25-26 IV; 14:30-31 KJV).

We will face oppositions, struggles, trials and discouragements. When we encounter these “bumps’ in the road we need to turn quickly to the Lord, as instinctively as a child runs to mother when they get in trouble. He will help us.

All of us have an occasional “blue Monday”. I wrote in the margin of my Bible: “I read this on a day I was down, 10-24-90, I then added an arrow pointing to Isaiah 41, beginning with verse 9 and continuing through Verse 14: “…Thou art my servant; I have chosen thee, and not cast thee away. Fear thou not; for I am with thee; be not dismayed; for I am thy God; I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee”. Three times in this scripture the assuring words “I will help thee” are written. It was as if the Lord himself was standing beside me, with his hand on my shoulder, speaking these words to me. I was strengthened and could say with Paul, “I can do all things through Christ which [who] strengtheneth me” (Philippians 4:13).

Years later, I was pleased to read in the autobiography of Charles Derry as he referred to Isaiah 41: 10-13: “the above scripture was a tower of strength to me, for which I thank God for his fostering care over me”. Charles Derry was a resolute disciple of Jesus. His epitaph reads: “Ever Faithful”; fitting words for a faithful servant. Charles could have spoken the words of Paul: “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith; Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness… and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing” (2 Timothy 4:7-8).

May the Lord find each of us faithful when he suddenly comes to greet his saints!



No comments:

Post a Comment