Monday, May 15, 2023

The MAYOR'S TRASH PICK UP

 

Muriel Luedeman
mur620@gmail.com

The MAYOR'S TRASH PICK UP

Hello, IIAW and Unity Center Friends,

Thank you all for reading my email updates and notes. The IIAW is well into our 5th year, and our numbers are increasing, and many people are coming forward to assist in the work of improving the well-being of Independence.

The MAYOR'S TRASH PICK UP today was OUTSTANDING! We met at the Independence Academy parking lot behind the Truman Library and focused on the walking trail north and west of there. I noticed that volunteers were already working that area well, so I headed across 24 along Bess Truman Parkway, then up around Fire Station 1. At 24 Hwy and Spring Street, having been out for an hour, and was a half mile walk from the Independence Academy parking lot starting point, I decided to call it a morning, head back and pick up my car.

Then Gloria Smith came along in her safety vest, with a trash bag and gloves. She approached with the comment, "What do you suppose the median age is for this group? I'm 77. How old are you?" "76," I said. Gloria: "The two volunteers I just talked to on 24 Hwy are 73. I am getting on Facebook and shaming my 'friends' a bit to get them to come out for this event." We both laughed. Her comments tempted me to do the same. I had thought about it before many times, wanted to speak out, but hesitated saying anything because I don't like pressuring people into service. I would rather SHOW people and talk about how rewarding and fun this kind of service is and invite them to participate. I want to see and I believe God wants to see willing, excited, committed volunteers filling our ranks. So, I resisted the urge.

The truth is that litter and trash pick up is a perfect volunteer opportunity for seniors. For many of us we are retired from our jobs, we have no young children at home, we are mentors for our grandchildren, we know many people. Also, walking affords us a way to exercise.

I WILL say this: In early 2016, I had a dream where I saw many people, ordinary citizens in Christian T-shirts, picking up litter on very busy roadways, even I-70 cloverleafs and city highways. I was aware of people driving through our city noticing this and saying to themselves, "These people really care about and love their city. I wonder if it would be a good place to live." In 2018, Dennis Cato heard the voice of the Spirit calling him to bring forth the IIAW. Among many events, we started a monthly neighborhood and city clean up; we have been on those city highways of my dream - MO-78, 24 Hwy, 40 Hwy, Truman Road, and under I-70 on Sterling Avenue. As the city grew more littered, other individuals and churches have started cleaning out trashy areas. Praise God, there is a large contingent of people who are very aware and starting to network to have a greater impact on the city about this problem. Everyone I talk to who is involved, has positive things to say about what Independence is doing to make good things happen.

I LOVE the MAYOR'S TRASH PICK UP! It's a wonderful event that everyone can participate in. It's well organized, well equipped, easy to do, and fun. A way to meet the mayor, Rory Rowland, and city council, commission, and department members, to do something beneficial with family and friends and make new friends, and do our community a great service.

God is SO GOOD! My new community buddy, Gloria Smith, is a well-connected, civic minded, highly involved community volunteer and motivator. I ended up going the second hour of the clean up, following her north into her family's old neighborhood on Spring to Mechanic and west to the Academy parking lot, talking the whole way. That 2nd hour flew by in a blink. I have been praying for someone SPECIAL in the city to connect with who knows a lot of people and is determined to get things done that need doing. Gloria goes by "see and need and fill a need." That is GLORIA, for sure. I envision us strategizing how to make the 2nd Saturday from 9-11am, LOVE ON INDEPENDENCE SATURDAY and involve the entire Independence community.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this posting, and encouraging me to write them. We have so much to be grateful for, and feel good about our town and her citizens.

In your service,

Muriel Luedeman
IIAW Communications Secretary
mur620@gmail.com
816-726-8425

Muriel

No comments:

Post a Comment