Friday, April 27, 2018

Francis Harper Message - April 27, 2018

------ Forwarded message ------
From: Francis Harper
wbfrmsup@iowatelecom.net


Francis Harper Message - April 27, 2018


Dear Ones,

Most of us can relate to our parents using the little two-word phrase, “or else!” This phrase was usually followed by some words of instruction they expected us to obey. If we failed to obey, there would be some consequences, caused by our disobedience!

The Lord used the phrase, “or else” twice in his letters to the churches in Revelation, Chapter 2. To the saints at Ephesus he said, “. . . thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick” (Revelation 2:4-5). Evidently the Ephesians had lost some of the zeal they had exhibited earlier. The same can happen to any congregation of the church today. We need to remember the motto of the United States Marines: “When the going gets tough, the tough get going!” Endurance and steadfastness are virtues we need to cultivate.

Some of the saints at Pergamos were embracing the false doctrines and the ways of the world. They were warned to repent, or else they would be chastised with “the sword of my mouth” (Revelation 2:16). Paul warned, “. . . be not conformed to this world; but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God is” (Romans 12:2). Within the past week I received word that the United Methodist Church (UMC) is a denomination in crisis, “as they continue to abandon their foundational principles.”

The same could be said of the Community of Christ (COC), formerly the RLDS. God does not change; neither does the everlasting gospel! “And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwelt on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue and people” (Revelation 14:6).

As we consider the many blessings we have received through the years: the answered prayers, the healings, the material and spiritual blessings so freely and abundantly given us, we better acknowledge our indebtedness—or else! We better believe, “for every good gift and every perfect gift is from above and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness or shadow of turning” (James 1:17).

We better believe, but that is only the beginning;
We better repent;
We better love God;
We better love our neighbor;
We better forgive;
We better fast and pray;
We better study his word;
We better give generously;
We better be valiant in testimony. Or else!

We tend to think of ourselves more highly than we “ought to think” (Romans 12:3). The Gentile centurion had greater faith then the chosen people of Capernaum. Jesus said to them, “Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith; no, not in Israel. And I say unto you many shall come from the east and the west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 8:5-11). “Woe unto thee, Chorazin! Woe unto thee, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon, which have been done in you, they would have repented in sackcloth and ashes. But it shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon in the day of judgment, than for you. And thou, Capernaum, which are exalted to heaven, shall be cast down to hell” (Luke 10:14-16).

My love to all, Francis

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We Better Believe!

Shortly before the departure date of mission ten to Nepal and India (April 19, 2011), I could not find my passport! After searching in every logical place, I desperately knelt in prayer by my grandmother Minnie Harper’s antique chair. I prayed, “Lord, if you want me to go to India and Nepal, help me find my passport and I will know I am being sent there by you.” Almost immediately after offering this prayer, I heard someone calling me. Then my youngest daughter, Loni, walked into my den with my passport in her hand! It had been found under the cushion of a living-room chair. I was so elated and grateful. In response to this blessing, I spoke these heartfelt words: “After all God has done for us, we better believe!”

“For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall much be required . . .” (Luke 12:57 IV; 12:48 KJV). In his Parable of the Talents, Jesus clearly taught that he expects those who receive great blessings to return the favors. “. . . he who had received the one talent came, and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art a hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not scattered. And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth; and lo, here is thy talent; take it from me as thou hast from thine other servants, for it is thine. His Lord answered and said unto him, O wicked and slothful servant . . . cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth” (Matthew 25:13-31 IV; 25:14-30 KJV).

On December 6, 2016, Andy Dick, a young man who lives in the Woodbine, Iowa, community, shared the following testimony. He had removed the fuel cap to refuel his skid loader. He laid the cap on the loader during the fueling process, then neglected to replace it. After working several hours, he discovered the cap was missing. By this time it was pitch dark! He prayed, “Lord, if you help me find the fuel cap, I will owe you one!” He got a flashlight and began searching, and almost at once, stepped on the cap! Andy is not a member of the church, but he said, “I have a gut feeling God has something for me to do.” All of us are indebted to God, and will be forever!



King Benjamin said, “O how you ought to thank your heavenly king! I say unto you, my brethren, that if you should render all the thanks and praise which your whole souls have power to possess, to that God who has created you, and has kept and preserved you, and has caused that ye should rejoice, and has granted that ye should live in peace one with another;

“I say unto you, that if ye should serve him who has created you from the beginning, and art preserving you from day to day, by lending you breath, that ye may live and move, and do according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment to another;

“I say, if ye should serve him with all your whole soul, yet ye would be unprofitable servants.

“And behold, all that he requires of you, is to keep his commandments; and he has promised you that if ye would keep his commandments, ye should prosper in the land;

“And he never doth vary from that which he hath said; therefore, if ye do keep his commandments, he doth bless you, and prosper you.

“And now, in the first place, he hath created you, and granted unto you your lives, for which ye are indebted unto him.

“And secondly: he doth require that ye should do as he commanded you, for which if ye do, he doth immediately bless you; and therefore, he hath paid you.

“And ye are still indebted unto him; and are and will be for ever and ever; therefore, of what have ye to boast?”






No comments:

Post a Comment