Friday, December 29, 2017

Francis Harper - Message for 12/29/2017

From: Francis Harper
wbfrmsup@iowatelecom.net


Francis Harper - Message for 12/29/2017


Dear Ones,

As we enter another New Year, I think of the words written of Abraham: “By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went” (Hebrews 11:8). As we enter 2018, we also, with faith, go forth, not knowing what we may encounter.

We who are older in years who have faced many of the perils, obstacles and vicissitudes of life can assure those who are younger that God can be trusted.

He is indeed the Good Shepherd of which David wrote in Psalms 23: “The Lord is my [a personal God] shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures. He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul; he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Yea, though I walk in the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me, thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. What assurance need we more? “God is ever true and kind.” Brethren, Breathe One Fervent Prayer,” Hymns of the Restoration, #51.

We need to “Hear Him”, not only once, or once in a while, but hear him daily, in every phase and aspect of our lives. Hear his words from the pages of the scripture: “Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.” (2 Nephi 13:30). “…Feast upon the words of Christ; for behold the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do” (2 Nephi 14:4).

Hear Him, for the improvement of your spirit and mind. Hear Him for the salvation of your soul. Hear Him in all your choices, your career, your marriage… “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that [who] giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not [will not scold or criticize]; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering; for he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed… let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord” (James 1:5-7).

“Counsel [with] the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good: Yea, when thou liest down at night, lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning, let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day” (Alma 17:69-70).

I recall Arthur Oakman saying, “You do not need to go down to Egypt [the world] to get your corn [your answers, your supply]”. The answers we get from the world are not always in harmony with God’s wisdom and will.

When I had completed my tour of duty with the US Army it was discovered, on an inventory, that some blankets and barracks bags were missing, valued at $3,000. I was counseled to make up these shortages by taking pieces of these articles to the salvage officer and receiving new and undamaged ones. I could not in good conscience do this! We prayed. After praying, I sat down to read my Bible. It immediately opened to Psalm 1 which begins with, “Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly…” I knew the Lord was speaking directly to me. A few days later several bales of blankets and barracks bags were found that had been missed when the inventory was taken.

Love and Prayers for a blessed New Year for each of you,
Francis Harper

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++



It has been said, our needs are twofold. We need to know the direction we need to go and how to get there. God has given us the instructions we need to follow, but from the days of Adam we have refused to follow them! “There is a way which seemeth right unto a man; but the end thereof are the ways of death” (Proverbs 14:12).

God introduced his Son, Jesus Christ on several occasions and ended these introductions with the words “Hear Him” or “Hear ye Him” (Matthew 3:46 I.V.; Matthew 17:4 I.V.; 17:5 KJV, III Nephi 5:8; History of the Church, Vol. 1, page 9). “Hear Him” is a commandment. But in spite of the repetition of this commandment, or counsel, by our Father in heaven, most often we do not heed it and we suffer.

Jesus spoke very simply and plainly, “I am the way, the truth and the life; no man cometh unto the Father, but by me” (John 14:6). The Hindu’s feel that people of all religions will reach heaven but by different paths. This does not agree with the teaching of Jesus. The teaching that Jesus is the only way to the Father is not a politically correct doctrine, but Jesus was not influenced by the doctrine of political correctness, nor should we.

Jesus did not support the wishful thinking and doctrines of the Pharisees and Sadducees. He said, “Take heed and beware of the leaven [doctrine] of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.” (Matthew 16:7). The Sadducees did not believe in a resurrection or in any future state for man. Peter said to Jesus: “Thou hast the words of eternal life” (John 6:68). Jesus was [is] the only true source of knowledge on life after death; Hear Him.

Jesus said to Pilate: “To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice” (John 18:37). Every true seeker for truth will listen to Jesus; will “Hear Him”. Pilate asked the right question, “What is truth?” But he, like the vast majority in the world today, was not interested enough to take time to listen! What a fatal mistake!

Why should we listen to Jesus? What were his credentials? Was he taught by Gamaliel, or some other famous teacher? “Jesus went up into the temple, and taught. And the Jews marveled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned? Jesus answered them and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself” (John 7:14-17). As is often said, “the proof is in the pudding”. “Oh, taste and see…” (Psalm 34:8). “How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth” (Psalms 119:103).

“And they were astonished at his doctrine; for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes” (Mark 1:20). With Jesus there were no phrases such as “I think” or “I believe”. It was “yea, verily, I say”, or “Verily, verily, I say”.

The words of Jesus were [are] supported by his deeds. Nicodemus said to Jesus, “Rabbi [master] we know that thou are a teacher come from God; for no man can do these miracles which thou doest, except God be with him” (John 3:2). “And the common [humble] people heard him gladly…” (Mark 12:44 I.V.; 12:37 KJV). This is still true today. God’s counsel is always the same: “Hear Him”.

Love and Prayers for a blessed New Year for each of you,
Francis Harper



No comments:

Post a Comment