Saturday, November 10, 2018

Book of Mormon Challenge - Nov 10, 2018 (4 of 12)

From: Jason Kemp
jasonmkemp@hotmail.com


Book of Mormon Challenge - Nov 10, 2018 (4 of 12)


100 day Reading Challenge starts Monday, Nov 19, 2018

Biblical Proof Number Two
Other Sheep Shall Hear My Voice

"Other sheep I have which are not of this fold…they shall hear my voice…" --Jesus

I must confess, for the better part of my life I was not satisfied with the explanations given regarding the above verse. Who are the other sheep that will hear His voice?

There are indeed many fascinating scripture verses, but to me three stand out:
"…I am not sent but to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." --Jesus
"…Other sheep have which are not of this fold…they shall hear my voice." --Jesus
"…And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written." --John

Two are sayings by Jesus and one is a saying about him.
The last verse of the four gospels quoted above (John 21:25) informs us, there are many things which Jesus did which are not contained in the Bible. Some of those "…things which Jesus did" are recorded in the Book of Mormon.

Roy Weldon has a point:
"…If the Book of Mormon is true, there is a 5th gospel - Nephi’s eyewitness account and record of Christ’s ministry among the ancient Americans. Is it possible that one of the ‘many other things which Jesus did’ that is not written the Four Gospels was a visitation to the New World?" --Other Sheep, p.18

A fifth gospel.
Just a few months before his crucifixion, Jesus came to attend the Feast of Tabernacles in Jerusalem.
It was then that he made his famous "sheep statement" recorded n John’s gospel.

Again, I must confess, this particular passage has been a mystery to Bible scholars for years, if not centuries.
Who could those other sheep possibly be? Gentiles perhaps? No. For the Master plainly declares, "…I am sent but unto the lost sheep of the House of Israel."

In the Book of Mormon (3 Nephi) Christ tells he people that their forefathers had been separated from the house of Judah.
He also spoke of the other tribes of the house of Israel, which had been taken away from the house of Judah.

Christ continues explaining whom the "other sheep" in John chapter 10 were:
"…Verily I say unto you, that ye are they whom I said: Other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd. And they understood me not, for they supposed it had been the Gentiles; for they understood not that the Gentiles should be converted through their preaching. And they understood me not that I said they shall hear my voice…But behold, ye have both heard my voice, and seen me; and ye are my sheep, and ye are numbered among those whom the Father hath given me." --3 Nephi 15:21-24

The Book of Mormon has an explanation for that puzzling passage in John 10.
The "other sheep" are Joseph’s descendants who were separated from the House of Israel, that branch that migrated to the New World.


No comments:

Post a Comment