Friday, May 17, 2019

Francis Harper Message for 5/17/2019

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Francis Harper
wbfrmsup@iowatelecom.net


Francis Harper Message for 5/17/2019


Dear Ones,

Beau Hamblen, 6 years old, attends church with us at the Woodbine Restoration Branch. He has 5 brothers and three sisters. Beau fits the description Ammoron gave of Mormon in the Book of Mormon 1:2, Page 687: “And about the time that Ammoron hid up the records of the Lord, he came unto me, (I being about ten years of age; and I began to be learned somewhat after the manner of my people.) And Ammoron said unto me, I perceive that thou art a sober child and art quick to observe . . .”. Five years later Mormon wrote: And I, being fifteen years of age, and being somewhat of a sober mind, therefore I was visited of the Lord, and tasted, and knew of the goodness of Jesus” (Book of Mormon 1:16). What a formative testimony!

At the age of five Beau accompanied a group of teenagers to a sacred place on the Followers of Christ Reunion Grounds. When it was suggested that someone offer a prayer, Beau was the first to volunteer to offer a prayer.

On his sixth birthday, Beau was asked where and how he wanted to celebrate his special day. He suggested they go to the top of the “Big Hill” at the campgrounds. Even at this early age it is evident that he has tasted the sweetness, goodness and joy of the presence of the Lord and the Holy Spirit.

Beau’s mother, Karla, told us of a time when Beau suddenly spoke to her from the back seat of their car; “God wants me to be in his priesthood.” I pray that Beau will always be blessed with the desire to serve the Lord. “. . . if ye have desires to serve God, ye are called to the work . . .” (Doctrine and Covenants 4:1-c).

At the Christmas Service held on Dec. 23, 2018, Beau sang a solo which included the words, “I am a disciple of Jesus.” I was impressed. Later I asked him to sing it for me again, without the piano. I was blessed to hear him sing it from his heart, as he had before. Surely the Lord was pleased. I believe he will always be a disciple of Jesus.

During the sermon on Sunday, March 10, 2019, the speaker asked for a show of hands of those who have a best friend. Nearly everyone raised their hand, except me. I hesitated as I contemplated the question, feeling that Jesus would have considered everyone his friend. “All are alike to him” (Moroni 8:18). Since I had not raised my hand the preacher said, something like, “Francis does not have a best friend.” After the service, even before I had left the area where I had been sitting, Beau came and assured me that I had a best friend. Then he pointed upward! I got the message and he was speaking the truth! I was reminded of the scripture: “Out of the mouth of babes [little children] hast thou ordained strength . . .” (Psalm 8:2).

More recently, Beau’s mother, Karla, told me Beau had come from his “prayer closet,” their pantry, and said, “I’m never going to make it into the Lord’s Kingdom.” When asked, “Why not?” Beau said, “It’s my brother’s (he has two younger brothers,) they always bother me when I try to pray! Beau’s statement was quite profound. None of us will make it into the Lord’s Kingdom unless, or until, our relationship with our brothers and sisters, is right in the sight of God!

My Love to All,

High Priest Francis Harper

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Behold Your Little Ones

“At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, and said, Verily, I say unto you, except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever, therefore, shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 18:1-3 IV; 18:1-4 KJV).



During the visitation of the Lord Jesus to his “other sheep” (John 10:16) in Meso-America, “he took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them . . . and he spake unto the multitude, and saith unto them, Behold your little ones. And as they looked to behold, they cast their eyes towards heaven, and they saw the heavens open, and they saw angels descending out of heaven . . . and the angels did minister unto them, and the multitude did see and hear, and bear record; and they know their record is true . . .” (3 Nephi 8:23-26).

God spoke to Abraham: “I will make my covenant with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations” (Genesis 17:8 IV; 17:4 KJV). And of Sarah; Abraham’s wife, God said: And I will bless her, and I will give thee a son of her . . . and she shall be a

mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her. Then Abraham fell on his face and rejoiced, and said in his heart, there shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old and Sarah that is ninety years old shall bear” (Genesis 17:22-23 IV; 17:16-17 KJV). Sarah laughed when she was informed by an angel that she would bear a son. “The angel asked: Is anything too hard for the Lord?” (Genesis 18:13 IV; 18:14 KJV). The miraculous births of Isaac, Samuel, John the Baptist and Jesus proved that our God is a “God of miracles” (2 Nephi 11:145).

The angel explained why Abraham was chosen to be the father of a great and mighty nation, and promised that all the nations of the earth would be blessed in him: “For I know him that he will command [teach] his children, and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the Lord . . . “ (Genesis 18:18 IV; 18:19 KJV).

Jesus warned: “whoso shall offend [neglect; fail to teach by precept or example] one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck and he were drowned in the depth of the sea” (Matthew 18:5 IV; 18:6 KJV).

The stewardship of parenthood is a weighty responsibility. This is confirmed in latter day revelation: “And again, inasmuch as parents have children . . . that teach them not to understand the doctrine of repentance, faith in Christ the Son of the living God; and of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of the hands when eight years old, the sin be upon the head of the parents” (Doctrine and Covenants 68:4-a).

Nephi complimented his parents when he wrote: “I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father . . .” (1 Nephi 1:1). I could say the same of my parents and grandparents. My grandfather Harper died when my father was still in high school, but he often said, “no one ever had a better set of uncles than I.” His uncles filled the gap for him.

Paul paid tribute to Timothy’s mother and grandmother when he wrote: “When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also” (2 Timothy 1:5).

Let us pray that all of our little ones will be brought up “in the nurture and admonition of the Lord” (Enos 1:1).


No comments:

Post a Comment