Saturday, September 5, 2020

Spiritually Won Knowledge #9

 From: B S TURNER Owner



Spiritually Won Knowledge #9
 
There are so many simple truths in the scriptures that would help us to reach our spiritual potential if we were just able to see beyond ourselves.

While reading The Divine Purpose in Us I came across a statement by F. Henry Edwards that really made me think. 
“More and more we see what God is like as we mount up the scale of being, but the revelation is still incomplete until we see Jesus. To see him truly is to see God manifest in all the splendor of his glory.”  

The recipe is simple isn’t it - To see God you have to see Jesus, to see Jesus you need to reach for and practice the works of righteousness.
John 14:6, 7
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also; and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

Phillip, like many of us, wanted the Cliff’s notes so he wouldn’t have to really think and act. What he didn’t realize is that he had a front row seat to the meaning and the path of righteous. 

John 14:8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.

Jesus corrected and tried to bring the light to Philip, 
John 14:9-12 
Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?
Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself; but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me; or else believe me for the very works' sake.
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

There is so much in this scripture…can you see it? The first one that stands out to me is where Jesus is asking if he had been with them so long that what he brought was being taken for granted! I am not sure much more could be said here. 

Alma brings a bit more clarity to what is written in John. But first he taught the people, that he was bringing ministry to, the fundamentals of the Gospel.
Mosiah 9:37 And he did teach them, and did preach unto them repentance, and redemption, and faith on the Lord.

Because of his teaching, there was understanding and then desire! The most important part of the relationship that we have with Jesus.
 
Mosiah 9:39-42
 And now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another's burdens, that they may be light;
Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times, and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life:
Now I say unto you, If this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?
And now when the people had heard these words, they clapped their hands for joy, and exclaimed, This is the desire of our hearts.

If we are to believe what we read there doesn’t appear to be any hesitation after understanding…obviously the people were ready to receive and act on the word. The very same word that we have and have had for centuries. 

There is more so stay tuned…
Brian Turner



No comments:

Post a Comment