Vacancy Announcements FDO/WDTX in San Antonio
The Federal Public Defender for the WDTX is accepting applications for a WAN Administrator and an Operating Systems Administrator, National IT Operations and Applications Development Branch located in San Antonio, Texas. Please post the attached announcements.
You may view our announcements at:
Victoria B. Longoria
Federal Public Defender
Western District of Texas
727 E. Cesar E. Chavez Blvd., Suite B-207
San Antonio, Texas 78206-1278
Position Announcement 20-01
NATIONAL INFORMATION TECH OPERATIONS AND APPLICATIONS DEVELOPMENT
WAN ADMINISTRATOR (Temporary/Permanent)
Office of the Federal Public Defender
Western District of Texas (San Antonio)
THE FEDERAL PUBLIC DEFENDER, Western District of Texas is accepting applications for a WAN
Administrator, National IT Operations and Applications Development Branch, located in San Antonio,
Texas. This is a temporary position for one year and a day, with the option to convert to a permanent
position with acceptable job performance. The NITOAD branch supports the federal defender program’s
staffed offices in 204 locations throughout the continental United States, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the
Virgin Islands, and Guam. The federal defender program operates under authority of the Criminal Justice
Act, 18 U.S.C. § 3006A, to provide defense services in federal criminal cases and related matters by
appointment from the court to individuals unable to afford counsel.
Job Requirements. To qualify for a Network Administrator, a person must be a high school graduate or
equivalent and have at least demonstrated 5+ years of network design and architecture experience, to
include LAN, WAN, and production datacenter environments supporting web-hosting components and
infrastructure, including web servers, application servers, load balancers, mail and DNS servers. Some
higher education from an accredited college or university, preferably with a concentration in computer or
management-information science or a related field, may be substituted for some of the required
experience. Notwithstanding any educational substitution, specialized experience in two or more of the
following areas is required:
• Installing, maintaining, configuring and troubleshooting a variety of local and wide-area network
equipment, including routers, switches, load balancers and security appliances;
• Solid knowledge in routing technologies included but not limited to BGP, MPLS OSPFv2/v3,
EIGRP for IPv4/IPv6 and RIPv2;
• Implementing and supporting enterprise Wi-Fi deployments and vendor managed VoIP and Video
• Working with various network monitoring programs, such as Splunk, Wireshark, and SolarWinds;
• Operating, administering and maintaining experience with RADIUS, TACACS+, DMPVN and
VPN technologies; and
• Understanding of Splunk especially feeding Syslog and other data into Splunk (servers,
workstations and NetFlow data from applications like Palo Alto, SolarWinds, Cisco etc.).
Experience with a public defender, law offices or court functions, policies and procedures preferred. This
position is classified as “highly sensitive.” Employment will be considered provisional pending the
successful completion of an initial 10-year background investigation with updates performed every five
years thereafter. Continued employment will depend upon the successful completion and favorable
determinations based on investigation results. Applicants must be US citizens or be eligible to work for
the federal government.
Duties. The network administrator provides consultation, day-to-day network administration, and support
to the defender network with a strong customer-oriented focus in providing technology services. He or she
assists in developing, monitoring, and deploying the national Federal Defender security technology
programs. He or she will be responsible for the maintenance of equipment configurations, technical
support for all issues related to network systems, planning and development of new infrastructures,
expansion of existing services, and security to protect the network infrastructure and equipment at the data
Page 2 of 2
Some of the specialized duties include:
• Maintaining and resolving issues in routing, switching, vendor managed VoIP and Video
conferencing, security incidents and analyzing intrusion detection data.
• Responsible for technical implementation, planning, system configurations, customization,
integration with big data and statistical and analytical modeling.
• Provide expert product capabilities and input into solution design, build, defining, documenting
and enforcing system standards.
• Read and analyze bandwidth logs and utilization reports and conduct appropriate analysis of
threats and possible security enhancements.
• Operate and maintain all Enterprise Management functions and perform EM activities. Integrate
and operate system management tools to improve the overall operation and maintenance of
• Design and implement broader data and network integration.
• Prepare, review, and evaluate documentation, specifications, test plans, and procedures.
• Serve as an escalation point between customers and vendor managed services Support operations
and provide support for an enterprise on Premise security solution based on Splunk, Palo Alto,
Tenable, Panorama, GSX, SolarWinds, Cisco and other common network platforms.
• Support Extract, Transform, and Load operations to retrieve content from Palo Alto, Cisco and
Tenable repositories as well as existing hardware, software, system boundary inventories.
Maintain and present that content within Splunk and build detailed Splunk reporting for internal
use cases to identify possible causes of problems.
• Generate, monitor, and track incidents through resolution while serving as a Level 3 technical
support to other IT professionals.
• Some travel and lifting equipment up to 50 Pounds required.
• Other duties as assigned.
The applicant should also demonstrate an attention to details and the ability to maintain effective working
relationships with those contacted in the course of work. Other duties as assigned.
Salary and Benefits. Starting salary will be fixed commensurate with experience and qualifications
within a range from JSP-12, Step 1 to JSP-13, Step 1 and currently yielding $74,854 to $89,011 per
annum. The position is in the excepted service and does not have the tenure rights of the competitive Civil
Service. The position does carry regular government employment benefits including health and life
insurance, retirement, and the Thrift Savings Plan. Salary is payable only by Electronic Funds Transfer
How to Apply. Qualified persons may apply by forwarding a letter of interest (mentioning announcement
number 20-01) and résumé to: Maureen Scott Franco, Federal Public Defender, Western District of Texas,
7550 IH-10 West, Suite 200, San Antonio, Texas 78229. (No electronic submissions will be considered
unless they are submitted through Indeed.com or LinkedIn.com. This includes emails to the
Defender.) For applicants with disabilities, this organization provides reasonable accommodations, which
are decided on a case by case basis. To request a reasonable accommodation for any part of the
application or interview process, contact Personnel Administrator, Victoria Longoria (210) 472-6700.
More than one position may be filled from this announcement. Position originally announced October 10,
2019, modified and re-announced November 6, 2019; subject to the availability of funds, and is open until
The Federal Public Defender is an equal-opportunity employer.