Friday, January 31, 2020

Francis Harper Message for 1/31/2020

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Francis Harper
wbfrmsup@iowatelecom.net


Francis Harper Message for 1/31/2020

The High Calling of God

The Lord’s ultimate purpose for each of us is that we become like his Son, Jesus Christ. Jesus prayed; “I pray for them; I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; . . . I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from evil . . . Sanctify them through thy truth; thy word is truth. As thou hast sent me into the world, even so I have also sent them into the world. . . . Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. . . .” (John 17:9-23).

Jesus commands us to be perfect: “Ye are commanded to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect” (Matthew 5:50 IV; 5:48 KJV). Would Jesus command us to be perfect if perfection is impossible for us to achieve? Nephi wrote: “I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them” (1 Nephi 1:65). It was Jesus who said: “. . . I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh unto the Father but by me” (John 14:6). Perfection is possible for us with Jesus as our intercessor.

John, the Beloved disciple, wrote of how we can know we have been filled with the pure love of Christ: “Hereby perceive we the love of Christ, because he laid down his life for us; . . . we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren (1 John 3:16).

This is “the high calling of God in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:14). Those who follow Jesus are called to give their lives in service to others. “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends” (John 15:13). John challenges us: “My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue only; but in deed and in truth” (1 John 3:18).

Doing good for others is costly. “When Christ calls a man,” says Dietrich Bonhoeffer, “he bids him come and die.”Accepting Jesus and his forgiveness and going to church for an hour or so on Sunday is not discipleship!

After being awakened several times at 3:33 A.M., I said, “Lord, I think I understand the significance of the number 666 but what is the meaning of 333? I received an immediate answer, I will never forget: “That is the way of the cross. I spent three hours on the cross, three days in the tomb and on the third day I rose again. He that would come after me must ‘deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.’ ” (Matthew 16:25 IV; 16:24 KJV).

Am I willing to deny myself of all ungodliness, and every worldly lust, keep his commandments, and take up my cross and follow him? Far too often we savor not the things of God but those that be of men. See Matthew 16:24-26 IV; 16:23 KJV.

Being a disciple of Jesus requires more than many are willing to give! Those who fail to fulfill God’s high calling will forfeit great blessings in this life and in the life hereafter.



The story is told of a naturalist who loved to observe the lives of eagles. On one of his field trips he found an eagle’s nest with two eggs. He was thrilled. This would give him an opportunity to study the hatching, growth and development of the eaglets.

He enjoyed watching the parental care given throughout the process of hatching and feeding of their young family. He watched and waited patiently for the young eagles to try their wings and see them fly as only eagles can fly. He watched as they began flying with the song-birds; then with the hawks and buzzards. He continued to watch and wait for them to soar higher and higher but that long awaited day never came. The young eagles seemed to be totally satisfied with flying with the hawks and buzzards!

The naturalist lamented: “This is a tragedy of the woodands; to have the wings of eagles and not fly as eagles can fly.” I fear the same is true for far too many of us who are called to become Christ-like and are satisfied to live as the rest of the world. This is the greatest of all tragedies!


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear Ones,

A favorite hymn we often sing encourages us to “press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:14).

“I’m pressing on the upward way, new heights I’m gaining every day, still praying as I onward bound, Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.

Refrain: “Lord lift me up and let me stand, by faith, on heaven’s table-land, A higher plane than I have found; Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.

“My heart has no desire to stay, where doubts arise and fears dismay; though some may dwell where these abound, my prayer, my aim is higher ground.

Refrain:

“I want to live above the world, though Satan’s darts at me are hurled; for faith has caught the joyful sound, the song of saints on higher ground.

Refrain:

“I want to scale the utmost height, and catch a gleam of glory bright, but still I’ll pray till heaven I’ve found, Lord lead me on to higher ground.”

Refrain:
(Hymns of the Restoration. #291).

A few years ago, I heard a young woman share an unforgettable testimony. She said while in high school, she fell in love with a young man, but because she belonged to the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, his parents broke up the relationship. She was devastated.

Before this painful experience, she had remained true to all she had been taught as a member of the church. In her pain, she decided to live as her classmates. She began to drink and “party” with them, until one of her friends came to her and expressed her disappointment. She said, “We always looked up to you and admired you for the way you were before.” This statement helped her return to the path she had formerly walked. God, and even many of our acquaintances, expect us to live according to our covenants and commitments. “I would be true for there are those who trust me . . .” (Hymns of the Restoration. #322).

The words of Admonition given by Joseph Luff are appropriate for us to consider:

“O my people, saith the Spirit, Hear the word of God today; Be not slothful, but obedient; Tis the world’s momentous day! Unto honor I have called you, honor great as angels know; Heed ye then a Father’s counsel, And by deeds your purpose show.

Time is ripe! My work must hasten! Whoso will may bide the hour. Naught can harm whom God protecteth, elements confess his power. Up ye, then to the high places I have bid you occupy! Peril waits upon the heedless, grace upon the souls who try!

Whoso lusteth after pleasure, high estate or mammon’s store, envious or proud remaineth – tho he gain the world, is poor. If ye would be rich, be holy! Would ye dwell all heights above? Heed ye then this admonition: climb to atmospheres of love.

Love ye me and love all people, as I have loved you; thus be my disciples true. Then in this exalted station, your companion I will be; Every promise of my Scriptures will be verified in thee.

Get ye up, then, to your mountain, Zion of this closing day! For the glory of my coming waits to break upon your way! Forth from thence your testimony shall to trembling nations go, and the world confess that with you God has residence below” (Hymns of the Restoration. #180).

My Love to All,

High Priest Francis Harper


No comments:

Post a Comment