Thursday, June 15, 2023

LIVING IN THE KINGDOM OF GOD JUNE 15, 2023

 From: Paul Gage

pauljg_64055@yahoo.com

LIVING IN THE KINGDOM OF GOD JUNE 15, 2023

First John 2 Inspired Version
2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. But if any man sin and repent, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;
2 And he is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
3 And hereby we do know that we know him--if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments is a liar; and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected; hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

These few verses say a great deal regarding our “Living in the Kingdom of God.” Propitiation is the act of gaining or regaining the favor or goodwill of someone.” Thus Jesus came so we might have “New life in Him” and be able to come back into the presence of God. The

Apostle John reminds us many times in I John1-5 that the responsibility of regaining that favor or goodwill of God is now up to each of us. Our response to God’s great gift is reflected in how we live each day. If we live, as best we can, in obedience to God’s commandments, and do it because we truly love Him, we are living in the Kingdom. Otherwise, we are living outside His Kingdom. In John as well as I, 2, and 3 John there is the consistent challenge to “abide” with and in Jesus. The following hymn, “In Zion’s Rock Abiding” by Phillip P. Bliss also reminds us of our duty to and trust in Jesus


In Zion’s Rock abiding, My soul her triumph sings; In His pavilion hiding, I praise the King of Kings.

Refrain
My High Tower is He! To Him will I flee;
In Him confide, in Him abide; My High Tower is He!

1.Wild waves are round me swelling,
Dark clouds above I see;
Yet, in my Fortress dwelling,
More safe I cannot be.
[Refrain]

2.My tower of strength can never
In time of trouble fail;
No power of hell, forever,
Against it shall prevail.
[Refrain]

Phillip Bliss wrote many hymns. It is said that had he lived longer he may have been the greatest hymn writer of all time. He died at the age of 38 because he and his wife were in a tragic train wreck and rather than save his own life, he stayed with his wife who was pinned in the wreckage. The train caught fire and nearly all passengers died. Thank God that through our faith, by living in His Kingdom, we are assured of salvation.

Interestingly enough, there are four hymns in “Hymns of the Restoration” that have a tie to Phillip Bliss. Two of them he wrote, two of them use a tune he wrote.

Complete the title of the two he wrote:
Hymn 199: Sing them over again to me_________________________________.
Hymn 422 Let the lower ________________________________.
The two which use his tunes would bear taking time to review.
Hymn 217 “Sacred Grove in Fair Palmyra” and
Hymn 439 ”Prayer for Zion.”

God bless
Paul Gage



No comments:

Post a Comment