Friday, April 3, 2020

Francis Harper Message for 4/3/2020

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Francis Harper
wbfrmsup@iowatelecom.net


Francis Harper Message for 4/3/2020

The Way of The Cross

“Then said Jesus unto his disciples, “If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross and follow me. And now for a man to take up his cross, is to deny himself all ungodliness, and every worldly lust, and keep my commandments” (Matthew 16:25-26 IV; 16:24 KJV).

During the summer of 1991, I was awakened twice at precisely 3:33 A.M., according to the digital clock on my bedside table. The first time this happened, I simply dismissed this unusual awakening as having no significance. Then about a week later it happened a second time. This time I felt I may have been awakened for some special reason.

I remembered the biblical account of Samuel being awakened in the night, and the counsel he was given by the aged prophet Eli. “Therefore Eli said unto Samuel, Go, lie down; and it shall be, if he call thee, that thou shalt say, Speak, Lord; for thy servant heareth” (1 Samuel 3:9). So I said, “Lord, I think I understand the meaning of 666, but what is the meaning of 333? Immediately after I asked this question, the answer came, not in an audible voice, nevertheless, it came through loud and clear: “That is the way of the cross. I spent three hours on the cross, three days in the tomb, and on the third day I arose again. ‘If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross and follow me’ ” (Luke 9:23). I knew I was being called more urgently than ever before to deny myself, and take up my cross and follow the Lord in the way of the cross! This I have endeavored to do, with his help.



Jesus says to all of his disciples: “Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls; my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:30). Jesus is our yoke-fellow. The way of the cross is a joyous route with Jesus at our side. Even after being thrust “into the inner prison . . . and their feet fast in the stocks . . . at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God” (Acts 16:24-25).

As we prepare to commemorate the death of Jesus on the cross at Calvary and his resurrection from the Garden tomb, it is appropriate for us to consider our own death and resurrection and our “walk in newness of life.”

In the beginning Satan came among men and they became “carnal, sensual, and devilish” (Genesis 6:50 IV). And thus “the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been, from the fall of Adam, and will be for ever and ever” (Mosiah 1:119). The natural man shrinks from cross-bearing. The cross is “the emblem of suffering . . .”. Who wants to suffer and die? Yet this is what Jesus asks of those who have chosen to follow him.

Who can walk in the way of the cross? I can truthfully say, only those who have “put off the natural man” and have been “born again, can walk with Jesus. The way of the cross begins with establishing our lives firmly upon the principles of the gospel; faith, repentance, baptisms [water and Spirit]. . .” (Hebrews 6:1-2).

Jesus said, “Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again” (John 3:7). In other words, being born again is a necessity! The death and resurrection of Jesus are a type and shadow of what we must do to enable us to walk with him. Paul explains: “Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death [of the natural man]; that like as Christ was raised up by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk [as new persons] in newness of life” (Romans 6:3-4).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear Ones,

The question; “Have you been born again?” is often asked. When I ask this question, the usual answer given by those who believe is; “Yes, I think I am a born again believer.” Then I often turn to my favorite definition of being born again which is found in The Book of Mormon: “And the Lord said unto me, Marvel not that all mankind [more than seven billion of us], yea, men, and women, all nations, kindreds, tongues and people, must be born again; yea, born of God, changed from their carnal and fallen state, to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God becoming his sons and daughters; and thus they become new creatures; and unless they do this, they can in no wise inherit the kingdom of God” (Mosiah 11:187-188). After reading these words of scripture, I ask, “Are you a changed person?” “Are you a new creature: a new creation of God?” The usual response is similar to this: “I’m a work in progress.” Far too often we are self-satisfied and “come short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23).

Alma asked a series of questions to help us become those who walk in the way of the cross. “Have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts? Have ye walked, keeping yourselves blameless before God? Could ye say ye have been sufficiently humble? Behold are ye stripped of pride . . . ye must prepare quickly” (Alma 3).

Alma, like the Apostle Paul, had experienced a mighty change in his life. He had become “a very wicked and idolatrous man . . . he was a man of many words, and did speak much flattery to the people: therefore he led many of the people to do after the manner of his iniquities. And he became a great hinderment to the prosperity of the Church of God” (Mosiah 11:159-161). At this point in his life, an angel appeared and spoke to him, “Alma, arise, and stand forth, for why persecuteth thou the Church of God? (Mosiah 11:165). Alma persecuted the church, even as Saul of Tarsus was doing when he met Jesus on the road to Damascus. After Saul’s encounter with Jesus he became a bondservant of the Lord. (See Colossians 4:3). We all need an encounter with the Lord, an angel, or the Holy Spirit.

After Alma’s encounter with the angel, he said, I was in the darkest abyss; but now I behold the marvelous light of God” (Mosiah 11:192). He said, “I rejected my Redeemer [but] the Lord in mercy hath seen fit to snatch me from an everlasting burning, and I am born of God” (Mosiah 11:190). Alma, like Paul, became a servant of the Lord. “. . . Alma began from this time forward to teach the people . . . preaching the word of God in much tribulation” (Mosiah 11:200-202). This is the way of the cross.

Being immersed in water and being confirmed by the elders are the very necessary first steps but they are only the gateway to taking up our cross: “ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and all men. . . if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: ye shall have eternal life” (2 Nephi 13:29-30).

On October 27, 2019, I recorded in my journal, I was awakened by the quiet whisper of the Holy Spirit with a one word message: “Endurance” (Mark 13:13).

We need to be valiant in sharing our testimonies with our families and friends, that they must be changed “from their carnal and fallen state to a state of righteousness” and be redeemed of God by Jesus Christ “becoming his sons and daughters; thus they become new creatures” (Mosiah 11:187-188)

We should not hesitate to ask” Have you been baptized? Have you been born again? Have you experienced the presence of the Holy Spirit? Are you prayerful? Are you studying the Scriptures? The answers given in response to these vital questions will determine their [and our] readiness to met the Lord. “. . . be ye also ready; for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh” (Matthew 24:51).

My Love to All,

High Priest Francis Harper


No comments:

Post a Comment