Friday, April 10, 2020

A People that Repents 4-10-2020

From: B S TURNER
bturner12@centurylink.net


A People that Repents 4-10-2020

A People that is Repentant
04-10-2020


Paul states in the fourth chapter of Ephesians that we should not walk in the vanity of our minds nor in darkness.

Ephesians 4:17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,
4:18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart;

When we do that here is what happens
4:19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.


The message is clear; he is telling us that we need to repent of those things mentioned in verse 18…..many are thinking when they read this….what is this guy saying? That is not me; my understanding is not darkened and I am far from vain....just ask me!

I truly hope and pray that is the case – I do believe that many times, we do have darkness and a vanity of mind which leads to the other things that Paul cites.

It is actually very easy to do, we think we are doing the “Lords work” or the work that he has called us to do when in reality we are doing our work in the name of the Lord and expecting it to be accepted. We have convinced ourselves that this is what God wants. Or worse yet we are doing no work!!

By admission there are times that I have fallen into both of those categories because I have allowed my mind to be darkened by not searching for myself those truths in scripture……and for that I am truly repentant to God and to any of you that I may have offended.

We have seen the darkness and vanity mind set in all aspects of our Church history and even to this day. When that happens we have reaped those rewards and blessings, or the lack of them actually.

Here is what Jesus had to say about that:

Matthew 7:32 And many will say unto me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name; and in thy name cast out devils; and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Matthew 7:33 And then will I say, Ye never knew me; depart from me ye that work iniquity.

I bet you have heard that scripture read over and over…..and over. I really do not think that most people do these things intentionally, maybe that is the glass half-full guy in me, but I think they come out of a true desire to do “something”. Like the children of Israel if we just do something and not the right thing we are destined to wander…..

Paul makes a great point in Eph. 4:20 But ye have not so learned Christ;
I would agree with that – I know what I have been taught about Christ but I am now relearning Christ and what that really means.

Fortunately, I do not have to look very far as Paul gives us the answer in the balance of Ephesians 4….
4:23 And be renewed in the mind of the Sprit;
4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
4:25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbor; for we are members one of another.
4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

As you look for guidance during this time of uncertainty, instability and confusion take heed to verse 32, many blessings await those that understand the depth of what is being said.

I pray that you are looking to the One, Jesus, and not the arm of flesh. While the flesh can tell us the way Christ is the way.

This coming Sunday we humbly celebrate that Christ took on the greatest sacrifice so that we could come to him for repentance, learning and living. We can honor him by being repentant and renew our covenant and focus on doing his will and not ours so that we can take our place at the right hand of God.

I pray that you and your families are blessed in the Spirit and health in your bones; and are able to find the peace that each of us is afforded – to do that I suggest that you be quiet and listen.

God Bless
Brian Turner
Presiding Elder
Council Bluffs Restoration Branch



No comments:

Post a Comment