Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Hello, Neighbors, and Unity Center Friends,

 From: Muriel Luedeman



Luminaria Lighting 2021
 
Hello, Neighbors, and Unity Center Friends,

For 10 years with the help of neighbors, I have organized luminaria lightings along S. Main Street from Short to 23rd Streets. The seed to do them was planted when I saw the beautiful ones
 decades ago along Lexington Avenue leading into Englewood in my old neighborhood. Lighting and setting candles in bags along roadways to point the way to the Baby Jesus is a popular Christmas tradition in New Mexico. The 300 lights I set out remind me of the 300 homes in my neighborhood. I love living life with my neighbors around S. Main, and this is a way of blessing them and the community at large.

I had a dream years ago in which I saw all of Independence lit up with luminarias all over town. It appeared to be an outward sign of something spiritual happening in the people. After 10 years of lighting luminarias, instead of doing the lighting this year, I decided to offer luminaria bags and candles for donations to the Unity Center of Independence for outfitting Ruth House, temporary housing and comprehensive, redemptive assistance to sex trafficking survivors. This Saturday, December 4th, from 1:00pm to 3:00pm, stop by my turquoise table in front of 620 S. Main Street and take away luminarias to light up your own house and sidewalk this Christmas Eve. 

On Tuesday, December 7th at 6:00pm the Unity Center of Independence, 803 W. 23rd Street will offer a tour of the building and the Ruth House Project. The monthly meeting of the IIAW, Independence Is Alive and Well Initiative will follow the tour at 6:30pm. You all are invited to come and see what God, through many hands, is doing to improve the quality of life in Independence, one person, one family, and one neighborhood at a time.

Blessings to you all at Christmas.

Muriel Luedeman
816-726-8425



No comments:

Post a Comment