Friday, February 21, 2020

Francis Harper Message for 2/21/2020

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Francis Harper
wbfrmsup@iowatelecom.net


Francis Harper Message for 2/21/2020


Our Vocations



The Lord is our partner in temporal things as in spiritual things. He has said, “Verily I say unto you, that all things unto me are spiritual” (Doctrine and Covenants 28:9-a). He is interested in every aspect of our lives; temporal and spiritual. He expects us to be good workmen: “Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord . . . distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality” (Romans 12:11, 13). He expects us to be successful in our vocations. Paul in his letter to the saints at Ephesus wrote: “I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called” (Ephesians 4:1). He was likely referring to our “other” vocation; our highest calling as servants of the Lord, but we must not be slothful in either; secular or sacred! “Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise” (Proverbs 6:6).

“Think of your brethren, like unto yourselves [put yourselves in your brother’s shoes], and be familiar with all, free with your substance, that they may be rich like unto you. But before you seek for riches, seek ye for the Kingdom of God. And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ, ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them, for the intent to do good; to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive [in poverty; spiritual or physical], and administer relief to the sick, and the afflicted” (Jacob 2:23-24).

“Behold, I say unto you, that your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. Wherefore, seek not the things of this world but seek ye first to build up the kingdom of God, and to establish his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you” (Matthew 6:37-38 IV; 6:32-33 KJV).

Corrie ten Boom, a Dutch lady, who survived imprisonment in a Nazi prison camp during World War II, recorded statements made by her father: “The important thing is that we live pure lives through His grace; that we grow purer, and that we come closer and closer to God. We must desire this with our whole hearts, for it is His will” (Father ten Boom – God’s Man. Corrie ten Boom. p 43). My father often said, “my name is on the shop but God’s name should really be there. I’m a watchmaker by the grace of God. Some weeks ago, I was occupied with a difficult technical problem in my work. I searched many books, but could not locate the necessary information. Then one night in a dream, I saw a drawing . . . it was so simple and clear that I understood it at once. The next morning I tried it and it worked! I am certain the Lord is with me and helps me” (Ibid. p 60).

The Lord expects us to do our best to be successful in our vocations and then He adds His blessings and help in times of need. God has assisted me in making major decisions. At critical times the Lord has sent good people to assist us in our work.

We have experienced drought, hail, high winds and too much rain as every farmer does. We’ve had death losses due to disease, and other causes in our livestock. An occasional hardship seems to be a necessary part of our lives. Trials often lead to testimonies.

I pray that God will assist us in being efficient workmen for Him. There is so much to accomplish in so little time. God’s people are busy people. Finding the proper balance between our secular and sacred vocations can be frustrating at times. I still recall saying: “Lord, I cannot be a pastor and a farmer too!” Then came the calm assurance that I could, with His help.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear Ones,

I was taught from my earliest years to pray over every part of my life. Alma taught his people to do the same, “yea humble yourselves, and continue in prayer unto him when ye are in your fields; yea, over all your flocks; cry unto him in your houses, yea, over all your household, both morning, mid-day and evening; yea, cry unto him against the power of your enemies; yea, cry unto him against the devil, who is an enemy to all righteousness. Cry unto him over the crops of your fields, that they may increase . . . let your hearts be full, drawn out in prayer continually for your welfare, and also for the welfare of those who are around you” (Alma 16:219-222).

My grandfather, Allen F. Harper, was known as a man of prayer. My father often quoted what his father had said about his prayer life: “If a white flag had been planted at every location at which I have knelt to pray on this farm, it would be covered with white flags.”

Shortly before my father’s death in March of 1984, I asked him to share some of his testimonies as I recorded them on a tape. I will share two that are related to his vocation as a farmer. He began: “One hot summer day, I was walking across the fields and I noticed the corn was wilting. I dropped to my knees, and talked with God: “Lord, I know that according to the Scriptures (James 5:16) the prayers of the righteous availeth much. I don’t know if you consider me a righteous person, but I’m a farmer and I know my crop needs a rain. And if we don’t get a rain soon it won’t produce an increase this year. I felt relieved. A feeling of peace came over me, because I had done all I could do. I left my burden in the hands of God. We didn’t get any rain that night, but the weather turned cooler. The next night we got a wonderful, rain, and our fields did yield their increase.”

My father continued: “Never under-estimate the power of prayer. One morning, shortly after I had fed my cattle, I noticed that some of them were getting sick. I called the veterinarian. He suspected the cattle had been poisoned by the corn silage that I had fed them. Occasionally corn that has been under stress due to drought conditions is high in nitrates. Corn silage, high in nitrates is toxic, or poisonous. We lost four head of cattle that day.

“I had to make a decision. I must either sell the cattle or buy other feed for them. The corn silage that I had fed the cattle was the only feed I had. Oh, how I longed for my father’s counsel and advice but he was no longer with us. He had been dead for a little more than ten years.

“Then these words came to me: ‘Trust in the Lord, and all is well.’ I decided to keep the cattle and continue feeding the silage. Every morning, before feeding the cattle, I knelt down and asked the Lord to bless the silage and to protect the cattle. I didn’t throw any of the feed away. I fed it all, and we didn’t lose any more cattle, nor did any get sick again.”

The Lord stands by to help us with every difficulty we encounter in our lives, including those we encounter in our vocations. “Trust in the Lord and all is well.”

My Love to All,

High Priest Francis Harper


No comments:

Post a Comment