Friday, February 7, 2020

Francis Harper Message for 2/7/2020

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Francis Harper
wbfrmsup@iowatelecom.net


Francis Harper Message for 2/7/2020


Be Intercessors, As He Is

John wrote: “. . . because he laid down his life for us; we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren” (1 John 3:16). It has been said: “An intercessor is one who 1) takes the place of another, and 2) one who pleads for, or prays for others. I think of the many thousands who have died in the battles fought for the freedoms we have. We are indebted to the many who have interceded on our behalf. I think of my parents, and others who have been a blessing to me; thank you Lord, for these intercessors.



Above all, Jesus is our intercessor. He said: “I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly” (John 10:10). He took our place on the cross and he prays for us. Jesus said to the Father: “I pray for them . . . which thou hast given me. . . neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word . . .” (John 17:9, 20).

Jesus prayed for Peter, who assumed he was already converted. “And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold Satan hath desired you; that he may sift the children of the kingdom as wheat. But I have prayed for you, that your faith fail not; and when you are converted strengthen your brethren” (Luke 22:31-32). Peter was upset by these words of Jesus. Paul warned “every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think” (Romans 12:3). None of us are beyond Satan’s reach. He still wants to sift the children of the kingdom as wheat. We should not hesitate to ask Jesus to pray for us.

We need to pray for one another as Jesus prayed for Peter that his faith would not fail. A few years ago I was asked to pray for a man who was having spells of dizziness. I promised to pray for him, and I kept my promise. Then a night or so later, I experienced a spell of dizziness! I was alarmed, as I began to think of some of the commitments I had made. Unless I received some relief soon, I would not be able to keep my appointments! I cried out to God in fervent prayer for deliverance. I was healed. Then suddenly, I remembered how I had prayed for the brother who was also suffering with dizziness. I had prayed for him, but not as a true intercessor!

A true intercessor will pray for others, even as he pleads for himself. We need to pray daily for others as if their concerns, afflictions and troubles were our own. True intercessors are probably very rare. The process of changing our natural self, to the divine nature is very slow and difficult, unless we receive an infusion of the in-dwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. If, or when, this happens the change can be almost immediate. To intercede for another person we need to walk in their moccasins.

In 1991, I visited The Bible College of Wales which was established by Rees Howells. After reading Rees Howell, Intercessor, I was prompted to go there. The joy of bringing one soul to the Lord was described by Mr. Howells: “I am positive that the love I had for him was the same love that the Father had for the prodigal son. There was something about this first soul that I had, that caused me to know the joy of the Savior; the joy over a soul brought from death into life. I followed this young man with the love of the Savior, and if there is so much joy for one, what will it be like when the harvest is gathered in?! I remember the day when he came dressed respectably to the chapel . . .” (The Intercession of Rees Howells. Doris Ruscoe. p 59).

“Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God . . . And if it so be that you should labor all your days, in crying repentance unto this people, and bring save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father” (Doctrine and Covenants 16:3).

Enos became an intercessor after his conversion experience. He wrote: “I began to feel a desire for the welfare of my brethren . . . wherefore, I did pour out my whole soul unto God for them . . . my faith began to be unshaken in the Lord; and I prayed unto him with many long strugglings for my brethren . . .” (Enos 1:12-17).

The love Enos had for his brethren was the love of the Savior. Let us pray that the love of Jesus for all will flow undiminished through us to every person we meet. Lord, help us in our efforts to become intercessors, even as you are.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear Ones,

Many of the Lord’s intercessors were listed by Paul in his letter to the Hebrews, chapter eleven. You may recall how Abram [later called Abraham], when he “heard that Lot, his brother’s son, was taken captive, he armed his trained men, and they which were born in his own house, three hundred and eighteen, and [they] pursued . . . and brought back Lot, his brother’s son, and all his goods, and the women also . . .” (Genesis 14). Later, it was Abraham who stood before the Lord “on behalf of Sodom and Gomorrah . . .” saying, wilt thou destroy the righteous with the wicked? Wilt thou not spare them? (Genesis 18).

Many years passed, and it was Moses who stood before the Lord on behalf of the children of Israel: “And Moses returned unto the Lord, and said, Oh, this people have sinned a great sin, and have made them gods of gold. Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written” (Exodus 32:31-32). Moses was a type and shadow of the greatest of all intercessors; Jesus Christ. See Deuteronomy 18:15-19.

Paul ended his roll-call of intercessors by saying: “what shall I say more? For the time would fail me to tell of Gideon and of . . . “ (Hebrews 11:32). I could add to the list: Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lehi, Nephi, Abinadi, Alma, Samuel, Moroni, Joseph Smith, Jr., and many more, “of whom the world was not worthy” (Hebrews 11:38). Generally the messages of the intercessors were not well received. They spoke the truth. And as it is said, “Truth hurts.” Perhaps this is the reason their words were so often rejected.

We should be intercessors for individuals, families, the church, our nation and the world. The prophet Daniel offered an intercessory prayer for Jerusalem and the people of God: “O Lord, according to all thy righteousness, I beseech thee, let thine anger and thy fury be turned away from thy city Jerusalem, thy holy mountain; because for our sins, and for the iniquities of our fathers, Jerusalem and thy people are become a reproach to all that are about us. . . . O my God, incline thine ear, and hear; open thine eyes, and behold our desolations, and the city that is called by thy name; for we do not present our supplications before thee for our righteousnesses, but for thy great mercies. O Lord, hear; O Lord, forgive . . .” (Daniel 9:16-19).

This prayer could be utilized as a pattern for us as we offer intercessory prayers for our land; “choice above all other lands, which the Lord God . . . has preserved for a righteous people” (Ether 1:29).

During the dark hours of World War II, the faculty and students at the Bible College of Wales; “maybe a hundred strong, were on their knees, day by day through all the years of the war (1940-1945). The whole college was in prayer every evening from seven o’clock to midnight with only a brief interval for supper. They never missed a day! This was in addition to an hour’s prayer meeting every morning, and very often at midday. There were also many special periods when every day was given wholly to prayer and fasting” (Rees Howells Intercessor. Norman Grubb. p 234).

Many citizens of the USA are not aware of “the decrees of God concerning this land, that it is a land of promise, and whatsoever nation shall possess it, shall serve God, or they shall be swept off when the fullness of his wrath shall come upon them . . . for it is the everlasting decree of God” (Ether 1:31-33).

Those who are aware of this decree have a great responsibility to share this knowledge with their fellow citizens and encourage them to live more righteously for “righteousness exalteth a nation; but sin is a reproach to any people” (Proverbs 14:34).

Those who have been given the greater knowledge of the decrees of God concerning our nation are those to whom much has been given and of them “shall much be required” (Luke 12:57 IV; 12:48 KJV). The Lord is watching and waiting for a faithful praying remnant who will be the intercessors needed to save our nation. Perhaps it will be as it was in the days of Alma: “. . . I say unto you, that if it were not for the prayers of the righteous, who are now in the land, that ye would even now be visited with utter destruction” (Alma 8:31)!

My Love to All,

High Priest Francis Harper


No comments:

Post a Comment