Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Spiritually Won Knowledge Part 6

From: B S TURNER Owner


Spiritually Won Knowledge Part 6
 
As we continue on in our journey we see that one of the characteristics that we must have is faith. In reading the sixth lecture in The Lectures of Faith we are reminded of the purpose.

LoF 6:8 From this we learn that the many exhortations which have been given by inspired men to those who had received the word of the Lord, to have faith in him, were not mere common-place matters, but were for the best of all reasons, and that was, because, without it there was no salvation, neither in this world nor in that which is to come. When men begin to live by faith they begin to draw near to God; and when faith is perfected they are like him; and because he is saved they are saved also; for they will be in the same situation he is in, because they have come to him; and when he appears they shall be like him, for they will see him as he is.

I am sure that many are thinking…well yeah, I already knew that…but when we really think about it are we as faithful as is noted in this Lecture? I know that I am faithful…but do I have THE FAITH?
This is something that I continually ponder, and as I read more of Curry’s book The Endowment I am not convinced. The reason that I say that is I truly believe I am missing out on so many blessings that are around me and for me because of a miss allocation of faith.

Let’s look at the passage that I am referring to,

Many, many times have you heard the question asked, "How may I help to achieve such a noble goal as Zion?"  I call you to witness that almost without exception the answers that you have heard are almost utterly inadequate.  Because you do not see the answer to this and like questions, the cause of Zion languishes, and God's people come out of Babylon and her worldly ways with very great difficulty. since there is as yet so little to which they may turn. Characteristic #4

I think that Paul brings insight in Philippians,
4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want; for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
4:12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound; everywhere and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Do I really believe that I can do all things through Christ? And I can tell you that I am not content most days. Paul is really teaching us here as to how we can be humble and have a real faith.

In reading Oakman’s book God’s Spiritual Universe he brings clarity…

What is the faith of the church? What was "once delivered unto the saints"? Let us bear in mind that it is a "faith," not a system of morals, nor a code of ethics, nor a panacea for the ills of the world. This faith is an assumption of the truth, and an enlightenment of life, based upon a revelation of that truth. It is not a philosophy of existence, but an insight into the life of God. It is not illumined by reason or logic, but it corrects, sanctifies and hallows these wholly human activities. It is not a rigid system of thought, or a moral equation like a scientific formula. It is a clue to the meaning of the whole. It is not blind trust in an unimaginable mystery. It is an inward light which sheds its radiance on the pathway before us. It is not an uprush from the dark unfathomed caverns of the human mind, nor the rationalization of a "mysterium tremendum" which some say lies behind the visible world. It is a gift reaching downward from the "Father of Lights." "The Faith" (and we use the capital "F") is not a key idea leading to enlightened thought. It is something enkindled in man, and is the urge to righteous action. Santayana has described faith as an "invincible surmise," and the Book of Mormon informs us that it is "wrought" in the soul by the Spirit of God.

Stop for a moment…think about what you have just read then go back and read it again, this time more slowly. There is so much in what he wrote that it is hard to really comprehend it unless you ask for enlightenment.

Having the faith that Oakman talks about brings insight to the life of God AND it lights the way for us as we journey through life.

Think about that for now - more to come

God Bless
Brian Turner




No comments:

Post a Comment